Welcome to My Blog!

I invite you to read my blog for a glimpse into my everyday life, as I reflect on my past and look forward to my future.

Wednesday 23 March 2011

Two More Days...

I know the kids at school can appreciate my sentiment:  only 2 more days!!  Two more excruciating days, that is.  It seems that most of the kids have already left (in mind and spirit), but their bodies still roam the school.  Do you know what it is like to have to try to educate "those who are empty-headed?"  It is really quite a challenge and the reason why teachers look forward to Spring Break just as much (if not, more) as the kids.  I say that with love in my heart.  :)

I attended a great inservice for French as a Second Language teachers today after school.  I've really been working on my French teaching skills this year and this particular inservice was excellent because it gave me, and all the others who were there, actual hands-on resources to use in the classroom.  There is a lot of material to go through, but it looks great.  The kids will benefit because the videos, games, and websites we were introduced to will be great for them!  Fun learning (for me too)!

I really hate talking about the weather all the time, but who can help it?  This is Spring?  Really?  Hasn't winter been long enough this year?  It is so depressing.  The only person I know who is not depressed about the weather is my husband.  But then he makes his living selling snowmobile parts and this winter has probably been the best in seven years or more for anyone in business related to snow and cold.  We were talking about it in the car on the way home tonight.  I asked him if he has even sold anything related to snowmobiles lately (after all, it is Spring).  His response...  over $700.00 worth of used snowmobile parts today.  What is wrong with people?  Don't they look at the calendar?  It is almost the end of March.  I am ready for Spring!  Winter will be back (soon enough).  It is time for us fair-weathered people to enjoy ourselves now.  We want to play in the dirt and get our hands dirty.  The days are getting longer now and we want to enjoy them.  Uh-oh, I just realized that I am complaining.  I can just hear my Jon-boy telling me "I told you so."  Okay, Jonny, you told me so.  But I am entitled to just this once, after all we are talking about the weather here and who doesn't complain about that?

One last thing and it won't be a complaint.  I was walking up my Mom and Dad's driveway this afternoon and a great childhood memory came flooding back.  I guess it was because of the time of the day and the light of the afternoon.  It reminded me of a time when I was a kid of about 9 or 10.  It was a cold spring day with a few flakes of snow falling around (not as many as today, mind you).  I had just bought a new rubber ball.  You know the kind, it was red on one side and blue on the other with a white stripe between them.  I was out there on that driveway bouncing the ball against the big garage door.  That garage door seemed so huge back then but today it looked so small.  I remember the feeling of calm and untroubled easiness as the ball bounced once on the cement between me and the garage door.  It has been a long time since I felt that mellow.  It was so delightful to be reminded of that.  I need to walk up my Mom and Dad's driveway more often.

Donna  :)

1 comment: