Welcome to My Blog!

I invite you to read my blog for a glimpse into my everyday life, as I reflect on my past and look forward to my future.

Sunday 20 March 2011

Missed the Super Moon

Thanks to overcast skies, I was unable to view the Super Moon last night.  If you hadn't heard the full moon was at its closest position to the Earth since 1992.  The moon has an egg-shaped orbit around the Earth and it was in the position closest to the Earth in its Full Moon stage in 18 years.  I read that it is called perigee and it affects the Earth's tides by making them higher than usual.  Not that I would notice that out here on the Canadian prairie but it would have been nice to see.  I wonder if it really looked any larger than the usual full moon?  I will never know, thanks to our wonderful weather.

                                                   Oops, wrong Super Moon!!


The Full Moon (Super or not) was certainly expected based on how the kids at school were acting the last few days.  Crazy!  Teachers around the world must have noticed!  Almost like Spring Fever has set in, which may be the case because Spring arrived today.  Again, you would never know it by observing our weather here in Alberta.  There were all sorts of heavy snowfall warnings south and west of Edmonton all day and also in the Grande Prairie region.  Here, where I live east of Sherwood Park, it was cloudy and grey.  The temperature did go above zero degrees Celsius by one degree but the wind was howling and it felt more like -10.  But, that's okay, because we can at least say that winter is finally over (even if it doesn't feel like it).  Just saying that is a relief because this winter was the longest and coldest and snowiest we've had in a long, long time.

                                This picture of our backyard was taken last winter. 
                It looks just like this today, but imagine it with twice the amount of snow!

I wonder if the Super Moon has anything to do with all the craziness going on in the world lately.  Soothsayers must be having a field day!!  First, the terrible earthquake in Japan and now the air attacks in Libya.  2012 is just around the corner!  Not that I take any of that to heart, but there are people in the world who do and who take advantage of every opportunity to spread the word.  I've already noticed much of that as I cruised the internet for info on the Super Moon yesterday.

Anyway, life must go on and at least there is warmer weather and longer days to look forward too.  I, for one, will not dwell on what the doomsday crowd has to say.  Oh yes, I almost forgot that I have two weeks of Spring Break to look forward too.  One more week of school!  See, life is good!!

No comments:

Post a Comment