Welcome to My Blog!

I invite you to read my blog for a glimpse into my everyday life, as I reflect on my past and look forward to my future.

Saturday 23 April 2011

The Wisdom of Birthdays and Gophers

I have come to the conclusion that it is much easier to fit in a blog when a person is on holidays.  I haven't quite figured out how to do this on a daily basis when I am back at work.  The only reason I am writing now is because I am on a 4 day break from work for the Easter long weekend.  I will have to make an effort to try to do this at least on a "once every few days" basis.  We will see how that goes.

On the 17th of this month, my hubby celebrated his 52nd birthday.  Wow, when we met he was 19 and I was 17.  His first birthday we celebrated together was his 20th!  That seems like yesterday.  But, when you sit down and think about it, we've gone through an awful lot together and I know there is no other person that I know better than him (or he, whichever is the correct grammar).  We went on a date to Lingnan Restaurant for his 20th birthday.  It was just the two of us which was different because we usually always went out with the crowd in those days.  I remember I wore a white blouse that evening and because I was as graceful back then as I am today, it did not stay that way.  When I was eating my deep fried shrimp smothered with shrimp sauce, the knife slipped on the plate as I was cutting it and shrimp plus sauce met my white blouse.  Needless to say, I avoid wearing anything white anymore.  Anyway, going to the Lingnan has become the tradition for birthday celebrations in our family now.  We had made plans to go last Sunday, too, but cancelled because of financial committments elsewhere.  You can't do everything.  We'll make up for it next month.  He was just as happy to stay home and celebrate with an angel food cake with strawberries and whipped cream!

Yes, he is in his pj's!

This past work week was a short one which was good because I was very tired.  I also seemed to be very scattered this week and unable to concentrate or focus on any one particular thing.  Part of the reason for this is because planning for the next school year is starting but so much is indefinite.  Changes are happening at our school again and within the district itself because of issues with government funding.  I've been told that I will probably be able to stay, but the status of my probationary contract will be put on hold until things are a little more definite and no one is really sure when that will be.  Probably October.  Oh well, que sera, sera.  I should be used to this already.

We took Benj to the dentist this week.  His wisdom teeth have developed and have to come out.  One of them is in his gum on its side.  Jonny had one like that too.  His dentist left it in.  They said it would probably cause him more trauma to have it out.  Benjamin's dentist is going to take all of his out (even the one on its side) but he is going to have an oral surgeon do it.  Funny how different professional opinions can be.  Mind you, in Benj's case, it is probably good that they are all coming out.  He has a very small jaw and I have really noticed how his teeth in front have gotten crowded and crooked this past year.  Dr. McLean said that getting those wisdom teeth out of his mouth will definitely help that situation.  So, we just sit and wait for a call from the oral surgeon as to when that will happen.

Mr. B (my pet name for him) doing his fave thing!

Jonny's big news this week was that he got his gun license.  He took his course and applied for it about 2 or 3 months ago.  So, of course, off he went to the gun shop to purchase a .22 caliber rifle and all the fixings. He is now a mighty hunter, ready to take on all the vermin around our country estate.  Look out gophers!!  He and his buddy were out on our property practicing their shooting yesterday.  The gophers out here have become pretty accustomed to us because we haven't had a dog for 3 years.  So, they are always running about when we are outside.  They are pretty brave.  They were even running around when the boys were doing their target practice so they decided to do some target practice on them.  Jonny and Will got four of them in the couple of hours they were out there.  When Jonny and I got home from Tofield today, there was a big one poking his head out of a hole under our back deck.  Jon-boy grabbed his rifle from the house, took two shots and got him.  This may work well.  So far, this year, the count is 5.  Last year, we used a trap and the pellet gun to get rid of them.  In the month of June, we killed 92 gophers.  So, I believe it is good that we are getting an early start on them this year in a much easier fashion than we had to last spring.  Our yard and my flower garden are so full of mounds and holes.  It really looks terrible.  Those cute little critters can really do a lot of damage.

Look out, Mr. Gopher!


No comments:

Post a Comment